Wednesday, September 11, 2019

summer 2019



I transposed one of my comments at the NYTimes into a blog posting: “a venture in progressive pragmatism.”

China vs. the U.S.: The NYTimes top-picked my comment on Tom Friedman's column today, “Huawei Has a Plan to Help End Its War With Trump.” Business as war by other means echoes the fact that we’re on the way to a permanent condition of cyberwar. (That explanatory article didn’t allow for comment; so, see my comment here.)


September 7 | I finished appropriating seven back years of notes offline, but the complexity of it all doesn’t transpose easily into the simple sense of website which I’m trying to maintain. And I’m more interested in new directions, which draw me far from here. I must let things emerge in their own time and way. But I’m confident about my direction. And I know that the result will be worth sharing.

Here’s an opinion by me about Brexit at the NYTimes. I'm glad that it got top “Reader Pick.” | Sept. 8: P.S. When I posted my little comment at the Times, I hadn’t read the analysis of Brexit by the Guardian Editorial-Page columnist, Jonathan Freedland, in the NYRB. I’m delighted to find that I was, as they say, spot on: Freedland, “Fools Rush Out.” Indeed, I had it right in my discussion of late June, 2016 (albeit there in early terms of not invoking Article 50)!: Anti-Parliamentary populism becomes the essential problem.


August 21 | I don’t want to give attention here to the dangerous melodrama that Trump enjoys. So, month after month, I’ve avoided linking to the regular commenting that I do at the NYTimes and Washington Post. But I’ll break my rule today: A comment by me at a NYT editorial today about Trump. (My ending reference to “Chauncey Gardner" regards Peter Sellers’s unforgettable role in the film version of Jerzy Kosinski’s novel, Being There, which the Editors probably had in mind for their subheader.) Comment here.


August 17 | A NYTimes comment by me to plutocrats?


August 8 | Thank you, David Brooks (or whomever), for closing the “Comments” feature at your current column after my comment, such that mine shows at the top of the 647 comments.


July 30 | evolving Internet, so many satellites, space junk, my, O, my….: “transcendental techno-Earthanity.”


July 22 | This week, the PBS Point of View series presented a stellar documentary about a broken refugee’s work for human rights of her displaced village, as she risks becoming a useless celebrity, even by the documentarian explicitly trying to avoid that.


July 13 | I began a new blog, “american earthling”; and posted here “a sense of cultural economy and global order.”

I’ve finished so much, the past few months, almost none of it online yet. I want to update the home page weekly, but I’m not there yet. I have a lot of work to do which probably won’t pertain to the g.com site, but may. So, I can’t feel confident about rate of updating there, other than at least every two weeks. But maybe more. Time tells.


June 29 | I’ve finished my thematic scaffold. Yet, sorting resources into the architexture is taking longer than I anticipated, because I lost an accurate sense, over time, of how many references I accumulated.

There will be years of good emergence from it all, which has become like intending a one-volume book that is unavoidably becoming three—or becomes an open path that portends to extend itself endlessly, due to the recursive generativity of its resource-intensiveness, which is a function of new resources emerging, of course, because that’s the way time is: like an ever-approaching horizon that seems to be ever receding.